Bringing a baby into the world is very exciting but it can place huge pressure on your finances. Costs vary from family to family, but generally you can expect to spend an average of €4,000 to €6,000 across the year, according to different research studies.
From car-seats to nurseries, to clothes, the costs can add up very quickly. Below are a few top saving tips to get you through the first year.
Handy Money Saving Tips:
- Only purchase the essential items before the birth. You’ll be surprised with how you’ll get by with just the basics in the first few months.
- Take advantage of hand me downs. Babies will outgrow their clothes very quickly so second-hand items can come in very handy. There are lots of markets organised by parents where you can buy second-hand clothes at a great price.
- Organise a Baby Shower! Every expectant mother deserves to be pampered and you might just pick up some really handy gifts.
- Avoid designer gear. Not only will you be wasting your money, but they’ll soon lose their shine after being stained with food and sick.
- Choose unisex shades and styles. You’ll thank yourself in the future if another baby of a different gender comes along.
- Sign up to baby sites and newsletters and take advantage of special offers.
- Make your own baby food. There are lots of great recipes on-line and you could save a pretty penny.
- Don’t over-do it with the toys. Very often babies will just focus on two or three toys.
- If you have the time, it might be worth considering cloth diapers. Or if you do go for regular diapers, save money with bumper packs.
- It may not be an option for everyone, but breastfeeding is recommended where possible by medical professionals instead of infant formula.
Planning for a new baby can be one of the most exciting things that you can ever experience. With Chill Money, we take out the hassle involved in applying for a loan for the important stages in your life. Whether you’re looking to a new pram or a new nursery, Chill Money is there to support you along the way.
Applying for a loan only takes a matter of minutes! Get a Quick Quote here.